Energy & Design
- Building energy modelling
- SAP calculations (used to assess energy performance in domestic buildings)
- SBEM calculations (used to assess energy performance in non-domestic buildings)
- Building regulation, Part L compliance (conservation of fuel and power, and energy-efficiency)
- Renewable energy feasibility studies
- Low and zero carbon feasibility studies
- Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)
- Thermal bridge (Psi value) calculations
- U-value calculations (measuring how effective a material is as an insulator) & condensation risk analysis
- Air permeability testing
- Thermographic imaging and analysis
- Design input and specification appraisal
- Thermal comfort and overheating analysis
Life Cycle Analysis
Due to the complex regulatory and compliance policies that apply, and an increased recognition of the benefits associated with low-energy, environmentally sound, healthy buildings, many developers are compelled to deliver high sustainability standards through their schemes.
In support of this aim we provide design advice and assessment services for residential and non-domestic buildings; for new-build and refurbished properties.
Our accredited energy assessors will produce building energy models and will lodge the building’s Energy Performance Certificate.
We will also provide guidance to help you determine a cost-effective compliance solution for Part L of the building regulations.
Bespoke, Sustainable, Design Specifications
Working collaboratively with you and your design team, we will help develop bespoke, sustainable, design specifications for your project.
We typically apply the principles of the energy hierarchy – preventing unnecessary energy loads through efficient form and fabric specification – before integrating efficient building services and renewable or low-carbon technologies where appropriate.
We will also determine the optimum strategy, reflecting the building’s energy profile, compliance targets and commercial considerations.
Drawing on our in-house expertise and assisted by skilled associates, the Element Sustainability team provides support throughout the development cycle, from concept design through to building handover.